Nascar love



Many years ago, I can recall asking my brother what was so exciting about watching a bunch of cars drive around in a circle for hours. He said he couldn't explain it, you had to experience it in order to understand.
About 2 years ago, my husband and I started watching Nascar on TV. Good friends of ours went to Phoenix twice a year for the races and had been encouraging us to check it out. What can you say about a sport on national TV that prays before each race, and doesn't race on Mother's Day or Easter? There was even a driver involved in Pug Rescue, so he became "my driver".
Last year we started talking about renting a motor home and joining our friends in the April '08 race in Phoenix. I do have to admit that I have never seen a complete race on TV, I watch the beginning, check back about half way and watch the last 20 laps or so. (The hockey fan in me likes to watch the wrecks!) So, an entire weekend of racing was a HUGE step for me. We bought tickets, but missed out on the RV spots. As an alternative we were going to stay with family and drive home from the race each night.
Last week, Ken was able to find an RV spot on eBay. We were in! I was so excited about staying at the event and taking in the whole event without wearing myself out, I started making a list of what I needed to pack on the back of one of the inserts during Ed's message last Friday. (sorry Ed - God was in the details of the camping/Nascar experience!)
The day before we left, Ken called at work with bad news. Remember the pug driver? Well, he lost his ride. I missed the chance to meet him by one race. Now I had just days to find a new favorite driver. Do I choose based on stats? Popularity? No, I have a much more scientific method - my anniversary date is 9/29, so I checked out those 2 drivers, but settled on #99 - Carl Edwards. Whenever he wins a race, he does a back flip off of the car.
Now I need to back up. In January I went to Napa for a girls weekend. One of the wineries that we toured sponsors a car in the Nascar West series (sort of like AAA ball) I asked if I could have my picture next to the car and the tour guide said I could climb in. I dropped my purse and my jacket and gave my girlfriend my glass to hold and I was in!



We arrived Thursday afternoon after an uneventful ride from San Diego and a slightly less than pleasant rental experience from the RV place. (They need some work on their customer service) After settling into our spot and meeting our neighbors we went to walk around. Walking around the merchandise trailers, I have never seen so many tattoo covered, beer drinking, chain smoking group of people - who were the nicest, friendliest group I have ever been around at a sporting event!
That night, I find out that instead of the trucks racing, the Nascar West series would be. I was so excited and surprised - I actually "knew" one of the drivers - after all I got to sit in his car.
Ken has been like a kid in a candy store all weekend - collecting autographs and free give-a-ways.
I have no idea what any of this blog has to do with leadership, but I had such a wonderful time, I wanted to share it. The noise and the adrenaline is indescribable. We are making plans to return again - maybe for November, but definitely April '09.
PS - I still haven't been able to sit through the entire race - even live.
PSS - Check out my Flickr account in the next few days. I'll have downloaded all the photos from the weekend.