Fasting Part 2

Although my day still has about 3 more hours in it, I wanted to write about how my day of fasting went. (so far) On my way home Wednesday afternoon, I was contemplating my "plan of attack" for my day of fasting on Thursday. I resisted the urge to eat a huge dinner - I think that turned out to be a good idea! I was also considering what I would fast from and what I would be praying and reflecting on during the day. The upcoming series is about interruptions - so I decided that I would need interruptions at specific times to keep me from eating. I also would be praying about the upcoming LIT party on Saturday. I decided, other than breakfast, I would have nothing but liquid the rest of the day. (due to a small pharmacy of meds in the AM, I must always eat something first thing) So, although I did eat breakfast, it was not what I normally prepare.
So here's how my day went - 9:30 AM - not hungry, 10:30 AM - still not hungry; I am thinking WOW this is easy! Eleven AM and now I am thinking about what I won't be having for lunch. Guess what? God sent the coolest interruption! A previous manager was in the building for a meeting and stopped by right then to see how I was doing. No more thoughts about food! Thanks God for a great visit from an old friend.
Lunch time! I did something that I NEVER do - I left the building and went for a walk. What a beautiful day it was outside. I spent the time enjoying the weather and praying about the LIT party. I have never put on an event of this size and I am worried - will there be enough food, enough drink? Will everyone have a good time? Will it run smoothly? When I returned from my walk I had two urgent issues to deal with as well as a coworker was going home ill. Yeah God! More interruptions to keep me focused. Having to cover for this coworker will keep me busy until 4:30 - quitting time!
I bought myself a treat for the ride home - a small carton of low fat chocolate milk. I thought this would tide me over for the rest of the night, plus I had several last minute errands to run for the party. I got in the car, and opened the milk - yuck! It tasted awful!!! Okay God, I am relying on you to sustain me for the rest of the night. Traffic stinks and I am grumpy. Again, I prayed about the party and all the guests, and reflected on the awesome "interruptions" I've had during the day. Ran my errands and am now unwinding before CSI comes on.
This has been a really neat experience. This was the first time I have ever fasted. I had always thought that fasting meant zero food/water/ect, which is impossible due to my health. Once it was explained to me that there aren't any "rules" about fasting - it's about time with God - that I got on-board!
I am looking forward to an awesome breakfast, but even more so I am looking forward to planning more days like this to learn to rely on God.

1 comments:

  1. Great post, Alex!
    It's great to hear how God was moving throughout your day. The first time I was faced with fasting, I immediately turned away as fasting as I knew it, usually had to do with either medical tests or dieting, both which left me feeling anxious and starving. The first time I tried fasting for spiritual reasons, I was surprised to experience that not only was I not really hungry, I felt full... and rich. Just that feeling of being fed with God. It's hard to explain, it's just so fulfilling.