Rambling Easter Serving Thoughts

On Saturday I was gossipping with one of my dear friends, who was confessing (among other things) that she fed her children chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. Somewhere in our conversation, she mentioned that I haven't posted to the LIT blog in sometime. I told her I was working on one about a book that I just finished, but I was still trying to put my thoughts in order. I was accused of being to analytical - so in honor of my dearest friend- here is a post that rambles!
Yesterday was Easter. This year, in planning for this large event, I took a step back and allowed the leaders of each individual team to plan their coverage. I purposely didn't volunteer to greet or serve as an usher. I wanted to just attend a holiday service for a change. In the past, it was not unusual for me to serve at every service we held during a holiday weekend. I made sure all the team leaders had the necessary info and passed along those who were interested in being a "First Serve". These amazing leaders ran with it! Each team recruited from among their regular team members, and promptly contacted First Serves. Every service - including a 5:30 Good Friday service had plenty of help. Team members stepped up and filled in when a leader had a daycare challenge. Sunday greeters volunteered to "lead" at Good Friday where we can sometimes be "greeter challenged". It was humbling and moving to see everyone work together to serve our Lord.
I was able to attend the second service with my in-laws. (yeah I got them to come back - they were last here for Christmas - baby steps!) Although it was really nice to sit and enjoy the worship and the message - I felt totally disconnected and out of sorts! I realized, although I have some leadership gifting, I am really wired to serve! I felt left out and really missed that "serving high" I get after helping with big events, such as Christmas, Easter and the Summit.
I have exactly 135 days until I get my Summit service high and 276 until Christmas. I hope my leaders don't mind that I am going to stick my nose back in and serve right along side of them!

1 comments:

  1. Gosh, Sister... you are just rambling on, and on, and on... hee hee
    You know, it takes quite a strong leader and it shows you have confidence in your teams to step back and let others run with it. It is sort of like mama bird saying, "fly, birdy, fly" and you know that the teams are going to soar. But there is always room for your "nose" and when teams get to serve side by side with you it is truly a gift from above, for you are an inspiration and guiding light for all of LIT. You ROCK! And You Ramble! hugs.