In Memory


Memories of Willie:

Willie Massie was an angel in more ways than he’d ever claim or probably know. He joined the greeter’s ministry on the very same day in July `07 when three of the four regular greeters went on vacation. Together with John Goldthwaite, he faithfully greeted folks on the Paint Store corner every week that he wasn’t singing in the choir. The deep sense of joy that Willie brought to the greeters and choir was from the new found well of his new relationship in Christ. Despite the grace of his gentle demeanor and great love Willie had for the greeters, choir, and men’s fellowship, Willie’s past was not one of graceful blessing. Meeting Willie’s mom at the LIT Christmas gathering was more than testimony to this grace of his redemption and freedom in the Lord, she could not stop talking about what a change had come about in her son. That his contagious smile & “hello brother/sister” came from a life redeemed from habits and fates worse than many of us will ever know, is one of the deepest graces we will miss when we gather to pray and bless the ministries of Journey Community Church. Thank you Lord Jesus for the time we were given to know you through this saint of yours, our friend and fellow greeter.
Written by Kim and David Youngblood Leaders of the Second Service Greeters

5 comments:

  1. David & Kim,

    very well said, I was very moved.
    This reminds me afresh of the power of Chrsit work on the cross in our lives.

    He will be missed.

    rod

  2. I didn't know about Willie. Oh, my heart breaks for his Mom. His smile could instantly brighten one's day and he shared it with all. Is there an address that I can send a card to his Mom and/or his family?

  3. When I saw the flowers at the corner I was saddened to hear of Willie's passing until I remembered he was with our Father in Heaven. Then I rejoiced for Willie. I met this gentle man with a friendly smile through choir. He loved to sing in the choir and he was always trying to get other people to join. He will be missed.
    Kathie McNab

  4. What a great post. I am so grateful for the LIT team.
    This is one of those "it's worth every ounce of energy we sacrifice" stories.

    Ed

  5. What a great post. I am so grateful for the LIT team.
    This is one of those "it's worth every ounce of energy we sacrifice" stories.

    Ed