Leadership Summit Passion

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to "re-live" the Leadership Summit. Rod hosted a DVD party for the volunteers, so they could see the speakers that they missed while serving our guests. At first, I was disappointed by the "cozy" turnout. But now, being able to go over my notes, I realize if there had been a large turn-out, I would have missed most of it again, since I would have fallen into the roll of serving our guests. (I'm a Martha in case anyone wasn't sure)
Several months ago, in the LIT leadership meeting, I was talking about the Summit and Tom asked me why I enjoyed it so much. Sadly, I don't remember my exact words - but I know I spoke from the heart. Afterwards, and many times since, I have wondered why I do enjoy the Summit so much - after all I serve in a roll that virtually guarantees I see little to none of the speakers!
At first, I thought I was passionate about the Summit because I love to learn and find ways to improve my leadership skills. But again, I go back to the fact that I rarely get to see the speakers - so that can't be why I love the Summit so much.
My answer came today, when I had the opportunity to enjoy Marcus Buckingham. Marcus said "a strength is not what I am good at, but what makes me feel strong".
One of Rod's posts mentioned how impressed he was at the volunteers who helped at the Summit all day, then stayed and helped with Friday night service. (this made for a 15+ hour day for those) I was one of them - and yes I was physically exhausted, but hearing how everyone was enjoying their Summit experience gave me great energy! Another thing Buckingham said was you can recognize your strengths when you get that "yeah feeling". He compared it to hearing your favorite song on the radio - that good feeling you get.
That's how I feel about serving at the Leadership Summit!

1 comments:

  1. What a great post, Alex! Thanks for sharing your heart and passion with us. This truly inspires! Oh, and by the way... I love the "Martha" in you!!